Friday, July 10, 2009

Multi-crafting

I was inspired by Nicole and Jenny from the Stash and Burn podcast to pull out my sewing machine. These are knitters who are expanding their interest to include sewing and other crafts. Listening to them always fills me with creativity.
They talked about sewing on their last podcast and recommended a few easy patterns, one of them being 'The 5 minute skirt'. I thought that sounded like somethig I could accomplish so I went to the fabric store and purchased some fabric and sat down with my sewing machine. It took longer for me to get my machine threaded properly than it did to complete the skirt, although it was still much longer than five mintues! But, I made myself a garment and I'm so proud!
Fresh off that accomplishment, I was lured to the fabric store again and I picked up a pattern for little-girl sundresses. A customer at the fabric store answered a sizing question for me and told me it would be easy. She even offered that I call her if I had any questions while I was at it, so I came home to begin with confidence. I was actually able to figure out how to use the pattern and I made a sundress for each of the girls.


They turned out well and are so cute on them. I bought fabric to make each of them a '5 minute skirt' as well. Next step is to measure them for their skirt pattern.

Sewing feels a little more like work to me than knitting but the sense of accomplishment when a piece is finished is enormous. I am inspired to keep going for more challenging projects and really expand my, and the girl's, wardrobe.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Just wait 'til you get hooked in quilting. Possibility is endless :D

P.S. Not sure about your experience in McCall patterns--we hate them as the company is notarious in removing written partial instructions by authors. And also what it requires to make something simple complicated--ie why do you need 3 different reinforcement interfacing for a hand tote!!! Anyway, if you plan to use them more in the future...keep this in mind.

Polly said...

Good for you, Jennifer! Sewing has always been a love of mine, and I'm so happy other people are returning to and/or getting into it. I've been able to spend time on it lately after a several-year hiatus, and it's really been rewarding. Enjoy!