Sunday, September 20, 2009

Didn't make the cut

Okay, I gave it a fair shot but it just didn't make the cut. The Honeycomb pattern, that is. Yes, I liked learning the new cast on technique and working from the toe up but there were a few things that let me know this sock would not get finished by month end, maybe not even by year end if I kept it up. It was in the best interest of the yarn and my goal of a pair of socks a month to make a tough decision.

Working on size 0 needles and the fiddly cabling every three stitches just did not work for me. I wasn't enjoying myself and it was taking me forever. It took me a week to get as far as is illustrated in the photo above.

Now, you may know what the inimitable Elizabeth Zimmerman means when she says in Knitting Without Tears that knitting properly practiced means "executed in a relaxed manner, without anxiety, strain, or tension" to me she means 'if its not fun, don't do it'. I was not having fun with this pattern. It was time to make a change. The Honeycomb sock you see here was ripped out this week, I wish I could say it will be missed.



Next up for August's colorway is my most favorite and successful sock pattern yet: the Hedgerows.

1 comment:

Mary Jo Guy said...

Bye, Bye sock. It was a lovely beginning and just the type of style I like. Perhaps another time. You made a wise decision. Love, Mom