Thursday, September 10, 2009

Cast on Lagoon

The colorways to choose from for the Three Irish Girls August sock club were Arboretum or Lagoon. Meet Lagoon: my choice for August's yarn for September knitting. Along with the yarn we get a free pattern with the club shipment and this month I decided to knit up August's yarn into August's pattern, Honeycomb.

Once I made this decision, I had a few reservations. The pattern uses size 0 needles! Those are small needles so these socks are going to require A LOT of stitches. Also, its a toe-up pattern and I haven't done a toe-up sock before. Casting on for a toe-up sock uses an interesting technique called the Turkish cast on. Wow, this is magic! I followed the instructions and voila:



A few wraps around the needles turn into a few stitches,







and those stitches turn into a few more until,







you are knitting fabric between the needles and there is no cast-on edge - magic!

This may be a slow sock due to the extremely small needles but I am happy to have learned and accomplished a new technique. Now down to some serious knitting.

2 comments:

mary jo guy said...

You are so amazing!!

Sarah said...

My favorite way to knit a pair of socks: toe-up. Enjoy the process. Love your choice of color.