Monday, September 8, 2008

To knit at all?!

What a night!! Its 10:25 p.m. and I'm just sitting down for the first time tonight, there will likely be no knitting. I've been spending my night running kids to and from practice - cross country and football, grocery shopping, visiting three different stores for specific school supplies, dictating spelling words, running baths, washing dishes, folding laundry, and all the other things that make up a week-night during the school year. But there has been thinking about knitting.

The closest I got to knitting today was listening to a knitting podcast in the car. I am catching up with Lime & Violet's podcast which, because I like to do things sequentially, I couldn't think of beginning in the middle. Several months ago when I subscribed to their podcast, I started with podcast #1 and am now listening to somewhere around January 2007 in Lime & Violet's world. At that time, they were talking about their Sock Marathon - where they said we should count up our sock yarn, see how many miles we have, and then commit to knitting a certain amount of our mileage before the end of 3 months. I like the idea so I counted my sock yarn - I have 1.36 miles. Considerably less, I think, than most stash-obsessed knitters. It looks like this:

That's Bob, the photo-shoot model, helping out. Whenever I lay out some yarn-related item to take a picture, he gets in on the action. That is also 1.36 miles of sock yarn - Koigu, Shibui, Trekking, Lana Grossa, Mountain Colors, and some Lorna's laces. So at this point, I'm not making any kind of commitment to how much I will knit, I'm just acknowledging how much there is. I do know that my most recent sock gift for my dad is very well loved, he even washed them by hand so he could continue to wear them. When your dad is washing his socks by hand, that's a compliment! I've made a pair of socks for my "sister-in-law" (in quotes since she is not actually married to my brother - yet.) I know my mom would love a pair, and my REAL knit-wear model, my 11 year old daughter, loves to wear hand-knit socks.

So someday, when I get a chance to actually knit, socks will be on my list - then I can buy more sock yarn!

No comments: