Sunday, September 7, 2008

Begin as you mean to go on

I've been reading and being inspired by knitting blogs for so long now and I've always thought how much Id like to have my own. I've just never thought I had the time, knowledge, or courage to create one. Inspired by my husband, I finally decided to just do it. He has several blogs that he keeps up with periodically and told me I had nothing to worry about and that I could and should do it. Bolstered by him and his try-anything attitude, here I am.

So many knit bloggers have gone before and have been so well-written and full of beautiful photography, I hope to be half as interesting. Mostly though, this is for me - a way to journal and make sense of my life as it goes by.

As busy as summer is and filled with activities, its sometimes hard to keep up with knitting. The Olympics inspired me to start a new and challenging project and I actually sat down each night during the games and knit on a sweater. I didn't finish it during the games but I did get pretty far and was proud of my effort and progress. Since then, I've been inspired by all kinds of projects and yarns that I've cast on several new things without finishing my Olympic project. I don't have far to go on it and will get it done to wear before the weather turns too cold.

However, Manos del Uruguay's beautiful, kettle-dyed, silk blend has distracted me as well as the Rowan kid-silk haze mohair which I've never knit with before. I had to cast on two projects from Last Minute Knitted Gifts for these two beautiful yarns - the Airy Scarf on page 69 and the Soft drawstring pouch on page 85. I'm enjoying them so much its hard not to work on them.

I'm excited about beginning the blog and can't wait to keep creating and journaling. Like the Olympics did with my challenging knitting project, blogging will help focus my energy and help my creativity grow.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Welcome to Blogworld, Jennifer. Your page is so beautifully designed. And...the scarf and bag are terrific.

I agree Manos Silk is addictive. My 12-year-old is knitting a pair of Spirogyra in Manos Silk and loving every moment of knitting it up.

Look forward to seeing your future postings and creations.

Have a great evening!