Thursday, October 16, 2008

Serendipity

Sometimes when you let your day unfold around you instead of forcing it, you will recognize the serendipity that is always around.

On Monday, I tried to be concious of letting my day happen instead of forcing myself through it. I heard Kelly Pitkin from KnitPicks give a book review of a book, Knitting into the Mystery, that sounded like something I'd like to read. I looked it up on the library's web site and found the only copy in Central Oregon was at the Sunriver library. Normally I would have had to order it on-line and wait for it to be driven to Bend but on that day I happened to be going to Sunriver already for my daughter's cross-country meet and so it worked out perfectly. I took in the meet and cheered on my daughter, then went across the street to the library and picked up the book. Instant graftification and I got to start reading the book right away.
Reading the book is such a peaceful exerience. The book describes the Prayer Shawl movement and talks about contemplative knitting and opening your heart while you knit. It describes selecting your yarn and knitting alone or with others and how to get your good thoughts and prayers into your stitches. I really enjoyed reading it.

It was such a compelling read that I couldn't help but cast on for my own Prayer Shawl the next night. I found some Angora-Tweed from Garnstudio in my stash and though its almost a lace-weight, I am using size 10.5 needles and its turning out beautifully. I love the lavendar color and slubby-tweedy bits. I am putting all my good thoughts and love and prayer into it. I'm not sure who it will go to but its so relaxing to knit.

I am also really enjoying the beautiful, fall weather we've been having. It was much warmer today than I expected and the trees are so bright with their yellows, oranges, and reds. This is my favorite season of the year. Noticing the change in season and fall color helps me to slow down and notice the serendipity in the air.

No comments: