Sunday, October 12, 2008

The oldest WIP

Eleven years ago I started a sweater for my brother, my plan was to give it to him for Christmas. By Christmas, I had only finished part of the front but wrapped it up and gave it to him anyway telling him that I would finish it for him as soon as I could. Not long after that Christams with a one year old baby and a full time job, the sweater got put away.

Recently, with the desire to begin a new project but no money for yarn, I pulled the unfinished sweater out of my stash and decided to give it a go again. I realized I had no idea what size I was making and without knitting a guage swatch would not necessarily finish the way I planned anyway. So I ripped out what I had, knit a guage swatch and started over on new needles. In one week I've come farther than I did in months eleven years ago.

Now I'm working away happily and with more speed, knowledge, and skill than I did back when I started. The end product will be much nicer than it would have been if I'd actually finished it back then. It might even be worth waiting eleven years for.

No comments: