Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A new year - a new adventure

The end of the day, the beginning of a new year. This is my first post of 2010 and the first for quite a while, as a matter of fact. The holidays sort of took up the room in my brain reserved for creativity. Blogging took a back-burner as I focused on other things and I didn't have the extra brain power to be creative. Now I'm back on a (hopefully) more consistent basis. Inspiration came to me today after reading some other blogs that I enjoy.

I'm not much of a resolution-maker at New Years as I find its too much pressure to try to do something new, specific, and measurable 'from now on'. It usually backfires and I quit the new thing altogether. I prefer making small changes that can become habits over time. However, in the spirit of starting the new year on a fresh note I'm going to start a project that will consist of a small action, repeated daily, to create a body of work for my blog.

The photos I took, and posted on this blog, on Christmas day made me feel happy. They were slices of the day and help me remember that peaceful morning. That's why when I read about the Project 365 I decided to participate. This way, even if I don't have the creativity to write a full blog post, I can at least post a picture and catalog my days. At the end of the year, I can look back and remember the moments and perhaps become a better photographer at the same time. And my blog and readers will not feel neglected as they do from time to time when my brain fills up with other responsibilities.

So look for a daily photo as I attempt to chronicle moments in each day, whether ordinary or extra-ordinary, throughout 2010.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a great idea, Jennifer! I may have to follow your lead. Looking forward to your photos! Happy New Year to you.

Sarah said...

Happy New Year, Jennifer. Your posts are always thoughtful and pleasing to read. Photographs are captivating. I look forward to seeing more of you in 2010.

By the way, only 12% of Americans achieved their RESOLUTION so GOALS like Project 365 is more motivating to accomplish. As you said, you feel good about posting, rather than be in a rut. It's your blog after all, you can do anything you want. For me, it has been a great motivator to push me towards my goal...writing and publishing patterns.