Saturday, April 25, 2009

Fiber Festival

It seems like ages ago but its only been about a month that we visited the Crook County Fiber Festival in Prineville. I'd never been to a fiber festival before so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. The only thing I didn't see that I was hoping to was the actual sheering of a sheep. This festival had lots of animals and indoor exhibits included plenty of fiber, spinning wheels, and hand-spun yarn. Along with lots of beautiful finished knits. I am not a spinner (yet) so I was not so tempted by the fiber but my kids could not resist some spectacularly packaged fiber and had to make a purchase of their own.

The festival had classes and presentations on different techniques including some dyeing techniques. The kids and I watched someone show us how to cover plastic easter eggs with dyed fiber which was a hit, especially since easter was coming up in two weeks as that point.


I also saw a carding machine for the first time. As a kid I remember getting to use hand carders to card roving but that seems to be a thing of the past now that everyone has carding machines. This was a 21st century fiber festival but this part will never change.

No comments: